We've answered some of the common questions below.

What size stove do I need?

All our stoves have good vent control so will have a broad range of operation whereby the stove will still be efficient and cleanburning,

Here is a general formula for calculating minimum output required:

Allow at least 1kW per 14 cubic metres –

eg. your room is 4m wide, 5m long by 2.4m high = 4x5x2.4 = 48cubic metres – divide by 14 = approx 3.5kW minimum – if you have only single glazing and your house insulation level is not great, you will need to add on a bit more.

All our stove’s outputs quoted are maximum nominal ratings – this means the realistic maximum you could achieve heat into the room, taking into account the efficiency of the stove, but of course all stoves will operate much lower than their maximums by turning down the vents.

What can I burn on my stove?

All Stoves unless otherwise stated, will be multifuel – this means they will not only burn wood, but various coal type products as well.

Wood is best when dry and seasoned and if possible, hardwoods are preferred over softwoods.

Manufactured smokeless coal and anthracite can all be used.

Any coal designed for use just on open fires (Petro Coke) should be avoided.

Is everything in stock?

We try to keep high stock levels of each of our stoves and accessories, however at very busy times we will sometimes run out of certain models – if an item is listed as out of stock on the website, it is always worth giving us a call – it will often only be a matter of days before more arrive.

What is flue liner?

Flue liner is the most common and easiest way to reline existing chimneys – it is a stainless steel flexible tube which will go from the top of your stove pipe to the top of the chimney ensuring a sealed system right the way to the top of the chimney and one of uniform diameter inside – (although most stoves have a 5″ outlet, UK building regs require a minimum 6″ flue liner for burning wood) – our flue liner kits can provide the adaptor to go from 5″ rigid pipe to 6″ flexible liner.

What is a register plate?

A register plate is a steel board with a hole cut in it for the flue pipe to go through – it will then blank off the chimney opening around the pipe.

It can be fitted horizontally just above the chimney breast opening, or vertically to close off the opening to the chimney breast when the stove is to be placed freestanding in front of the chimney using the rear flue outlet on the stove.

It has several functions:

– It will help reduce heat loss into the chimney space by bouncing the heat back into the room.
 It will catch any soot and falling debris.
– It will stop draughts coming down the chimney and into the room.
– Most importantly it increases the draw by ensuring the chimney can only pull air through the stove itself and not just draw air from the room without first going through the stove.

The kits we sell are available for 5″ flue pipe and also 6″. They come with the angle brackets required to form a frame to support the plate.

All the parts can easily be trimmed to size with a hacksaw or disc cutter/ angle grinder.

I don’t have a chimney at all – can I still have a stove?

Yes you can – we can design a kit which will enable you to quickly construct a flue system from scratch which will provide a safe, legal system which conforms to Building Regulations and can usually be put up in less than a day. The kit will probably cost more than the stove itself but will be far more effective in time and cost than building a new brick chimney.

The components will all just fit together a bit like Lego or Meccano.

Please contact us so we can design your system.